These beauties have ruined every other headphone/iem for me. I cannot listen to my playlist the same without them.
The detail is top notch, and the staging is wider than I expected. Most of the music is sort of in a semicircle bubble in front of you. It's hard to pick out things that are meant to be behind you, but you can't expect that level of imaging from an iem. The space where the sound does exist, though, is heaven. Theres almost no empty area and the imaging and stage is significantly better.
For looks, my pair was a bit disappointing. For each ear there was a grand total of... 6 microscopic specs of gold that look like imperfections from far away. Really doesn't look like a premium handmade product and I expected more bling for the price I paid. However the blame would go to UM, not MusicTeck.
Purchasing with MusicTeck was a wonderful experience and the customer service was great! I'd like to thank Andrew (great name btw) for helping me choose and purchase the best pair of iems I have ever heard. Would definitely be doing business with MusicTeck in the future.
I purchased these soon after hearing them in person being a happy MEST MK1 owner for a few years. Compared to the first MEST, these have much more natural tuning. The mids are still somewhat recessed but everything sounds much more balanced to me at the cost of a bit of perceived soundstage; the separation is still fantastic. The originals also had very little (sub-)bass impact in my opinion although they had good extension. That is also changed in the MKIIs and I enjoy how the bass feels a lot more. That being said, the MKIIs still sound like a MEST IEM and I enjoy them even more than the originals.
The build is very similar and the fit is about the same for me though the MKIIs have a bit of a smaller but thicker shell. The pins are now recessed and tighter; perhaps a bit too tight with some 2 pin cables. The MKIIs come with Xelastec tips which I found allowed a lot better fit in small than the CP100s I've been using with the MK1s. The included cable is also a solid upgrade in build and is more premium being a PW collaboration.
Neutral with little bass boost, it’s the first tier in its price range.
UM Universal MEST MKII
I purchased my Mest MKII from Andrew on the 4-9-21 and forgot about writing a review...
Ok, to be honest, when I first received these I didn't like them and would have returned them if I could, but that would have been a big mistake, let me explain...
I was accustomed to earphones with very little sub-bass and mid-bass so these were warmer than I was used to but I started to quickly realise upon listening sessions that I have never been hearing music accurately on other sets as I was missing out on kick drums and bass guitars.
- Kick drums and bass guitars on the MKII have the perfect amount of energy and sound accurate.
Bass guitars are very easy to follow without overstepping other instruments which may be something to do with the bone conduction as they are definitely doing something different to other sets I have listened to.
- I am a vocal lover and I must say the vocals are just about perfect on this set, nicely balanced, clear and inline with everything else with great emotion. Again, I do believe the bone conduction is having a positive affect on them... Recessed they are definitely not, in fact on certain tracks I would even say that they may have a bit more energy than some people may like. They definitely have more vocal energy that the graphs show.
- Treble is perfectly clear, non-fatiguing and can deliver extra detail and micro detail that is missing on other sets.
- The Mest MKII are my goldilocks set with everything extremely well balanced, never too much, just perfect. Without a doubt, they are vocal and detail king for me till I hear better. (Interested in hearing the Odin and Anole VX)
I recently purchased a used but mint Mest OG and a brand new Monarch MKII and these are a few thoughts against the Mest MKII.
- My Mest OG seems to have a hair more sub-bass compared the the Mest MKII but the bass on the MKII is tighter and cleaner. The Mest MKII seems to have a hair more mid-bass over the OG.
Vocals on the Mest OG seem to sit ever so slightly behind the bass and treble but are still excellent nonetheless.
Tambourines, shaking instruments and cymbals are ever so slightly more forward, clear and upfront on the Mest MKII.
- My Monarch MKII has more sub-bass and mid-bass compared to the Mest MKII but the bass is very loose in comparison to the Mest MKII. (I know reviewers have said that the Monarch MKII is light on mid-bass but definitely not on the set I own)
Vocals on the Monarch MKII are very good but I do feel that they are at times overshadowed with the warmer bass and mid-bass and not as clean as the Mest MKII. The Monarch MKII definitely has a thicker sound.
Tambourines, shaking instruments and cymbals are a good deal more forward, clear and upfront on the Mest MKII. The Monarch MKII just can't produce the level of details and micro detail that the Mest MKII can.
These are my thoughts on the sets and exactly how I hear them...
I am UK based and the service Andrew and Musicteck provided me was absolutely Outstanding, so a massive Thanks to them...